Split Radio
Noise: Your daily dose of music
Split Magazine on Facebook

Features

A Brief History of Jazz in Bombay

By Girish Menon | March 22, 2007

Split Magazine: A history of Jazz in IndiaSongs by Pink Floyd, Alan Parsons, Harry Chapin and Eric Clapton make me think about things — the way they must have been back in the ’20s through to the ’70s. Bombay used to be a prime jazz destination in India alongside Calcutta, Delhi and Lahore. That era gradually faded away. Intent on finding out what sort of an influence jazz music actually had on Bombay’s society at that time, I met a few musicians from that era; most of them now above the age of 60.

The Evolution of Jazz Internationally

Jazz was formed out of several musical influences such as the blues, ragtime, brass band busic, hymns, spirituals and minstrel music. Its early compositions were neither recorded nor written. The earliest recording dates back to the initial part of the 19th century (somewhere around 1917) but severe technical limitations and primitive acoustical recording equipment distorted the sound.

The Creoles of New Orleans, USA were responsible for the birth of Jazz. These French and Spanish speaking Africans of Louisiana Territory became Americans after the Louisiana Purchase of 1803 and Louisiana statehood in 1812. This community rose to cultural and economic prominence during the 19th century. Formally trained in Paris and other parts of Europe these musicians played at the big Opera House in New Orleans. Some led the best community bands in the town. Although Jazz is considered a complete American creation, it does have European influences. Louis Armstrong (born in 1901 in New Orleans) popularised and defined what it is to play jazz. Only Charlie Parker (1920-1955) also called Bird, comes close to having as much influence on the history of Jazz.

Parker, along with contemporaries like Dizzy Gillespie, Thelonious Monk and Bud Powell, are considered founders of bebop. Parker began his style in the swing-era. Rather than copy melodies of the swing era he became a master of chordal (emphasis on chords) improvising and created new melodies that were based on the structure of a song.

Jazz in India

Music has forever been a big part of Goan culture. The violin being cheaper, was the most popular instrument during the Portuguese reign in Goa. The Portuguese language being the principal medium of instruction in parochial schools, music formed an important part of the syllabus. Children were taught not only to sing but also to read musical notations, predominantly South American and Latin music. Some studied in Goa, others enrolled in English medium schools in the city of Bombay, which was by then renowned for its musical happenings. Families that came to Bombay lived in Goan colonies spread across the city, especially towards the south.

Bands performed regularly at Eros, Regal, Metro and Strand (now movie theatres). During the colonial times, Radio Ceylon was a popular radio station that played the best music of its time by motivated and budding musicians. Europeans (especially Germans and Italians) taught and promoted Indian jazz musicians. Many of them, that stayed back in India after World War II were arrested and not allowed to pursue music. During this period, many Indian musicians travelled to Singapore, Burma, and London to further enhance their jazz skills.

One of the most remembered concerts in Bombay during the ’50s was the Benny Goodman show at Excelsior Theatre near VT Station. Inspired Indian jazz bands led by Cyril Sequeira, Guddy Sarvai, Ken Mack, Hal Green, Chic Chocolate and Johnny Baptist played tribute to Benny Goodman (born 1909 in Chicago), the legendary jazz clarinetist. Other well known Indians like Chris Perry and Lorna Cordeiro, Joe Pereira (better known as ‘Jazzy Joe’), Braz Gonsalves and Edward Saldana (better known as ‘Dizzy Sal’), Ronnie Monserrate, Toni Pinto, Leon Abbey. In fact, world renowned American pianist Dave Brubeck heard Dizzy Sal play and offered him a free scholarship at the Berkeley College of Music in Boston, USA. Dizzy later went on to become the leader of the international jazz quintet at the Newport festival.

The musicians I met have fond memories of restaurants and coffee shops in Bombay where bands performed live throughout the day during the ’60s. Churchgate was a popular jazz destination, bands played at Hotel Astoria’s famous Venice restaurant, the Ritz Hotel, the Airlines Hotel, Gaylord, the Ambassador Hotel, Talk of the Town (now Not Just Jazz by the Bay), Berrys (present day Mocha), Bistro and Volgas at Fountain, the Taj, Alibaba at Colaba were some of the hotspots. Several musicians began their careers at Bombellis; once a restaurant at Churchgate. At the far end, just across from today’s Not Just Jazz by the Bay was bistro Napoli that had no live band, but had Bombay’s first and only juke box. Bands also performed at the Oberoi, the Nataraj on Marine Drive, the Shalimar at Kemp’s Corner, the Sundowner at the Sun ‘n’ Sand, restaurants like the Blue Nile at New Marine Lines and the second Bombelli’s at Worli.

Jazz gradually lost its popularity after India attained independence. Pop and dance music became the ‘in’ thing amongst youngsters. Rock bands like the Beatles and the Beach Boys had by then become extremely popular in the West. A majority of the jazz musicians in India were forced to play pop. While some lost their jobs, others worked in recording studios, composed music for film soundtracks that had to be performed by orchestras, or found openings abroad. The era of live performances was diminishing and was being taken over by recorded music.

In the mid-seventies, an organisation called Jazz India was formed in association with jazz musicians from around the country in an attempt to popularise jazz and create a platform for aspiring musicians. The year 2002 saw the 16th Jazz Yatra taking place at Rang Bhavan in Bombay; a venue that has now ironically shut its doors to live concerts. The first ever Jazz Yatra took place in 1978. This organisation is responsible for bringing into India internationally acclaimed jazz bands, an event that happens once every two years or the so called ‘International Jazz Yatra’. Musicians perform live at five-star hotels in the city. Johnny Fernandes today plays the piano at the J W Marriott in Juhu, one of Bombay’s suburbs; some others are at Le Royal Meridien near the airport. The legendary saxophonist Jazzy Joe’s band plays at the Taj Mahal Hotel, Bombay.

Jazz has always had a niche audience, although Jazz India and individual musicians would love to broaden their listener base by encouraging general music lovers to experience and enjoy the magic of jazz. Spontaneous improvisation in music is the key in and of jazz musicians. They create some of the most memorable music in live surroundings as opposed to recordings produced in clinical studio sessions.

Comments

30 Comments. Post Yours Here.
  1. April 7, 2007, 7:02 pm Yorrick de Souza

My father Edmund de Souza was a well known sportsman in the 30′s playing for Kirkee United in the Aga Khan cup. He was born in Goa and at an early age learnt the violin and wrote music in the Do Re Me art. We as youngsters would make him listen to Radio Ceylon and write the music as it came off the airwaves. Amazingly, he would whistle the tune back after just one hearing. He left Pune and Bombay to settle in Jabalpur in 1940. Here his Uncle had a band that played for the silent movies. One day the Saxophonist left and Dad said he could take over, even though he had never touched a sax. He started almost immediately and never looked back. For 35 years, he was THE band in town and anyone that came through Jab would attest to his musical talent. In those days, sheet music was not affordable, especially in Jab, so he wrote big band arrangements as he heard them and taught local talent who then became musicians in their own right. His legacy has been passed on to his children and granchildren. My brother Edlyn and I live in Toronto. Both of us along with our wives are very active in our respective Parishes, giving our musical talents to the Lord. The Goan community has been the most prominent ethnic sector to provide church music in Toronto. Edlyn’s son Carlos has a Band called Naked Flame one of the best in town. Edlyn has played with Braz in Bombay, while my sons learnt music with Braz as well as Remi D’Mello, another international music stalwart. I have seven sons and a daughter. All my sons are involved in music, the eldest Ryan being the associate conductor at the Shaw Festival in Niagara on the Lake. In the near future you will definitely hear of my 6th boy who is 19 years old studying at McGill univ. in Montreal. He will be graduating in Organ performance and conducting. In Toronto, he has already made a name for himself at the world famous St Michael’s Choir School.
    We must never forget our musical roots. As Goans we see music as second nature, but we must give back to the Lord the wonderful talents he has bestowed on us.
    Yorrick de Souza

2. July 23, 2007, 8:57 am Edlyn de Souza

I can never forget the Baritone of Willis Conover as he launched and Compered the First Zazz yatra at Rang Bhavan.

Quite by accident I discovered this site today and was surprised to see my name, as quoted by my brother. yes, as an Indo-Canadaian of Goan heritage I am thankful for the gift of music handed down by my father and nurtured by my mother. I have a great admitarion for the Jazz musicians of Bombay…. Braz and Yvonne Gonsalves, Xavier Fenandes, The Monserrat Brothers, Lester Godinho and Colin D’Cruz to name a few. Can not thank enough musicians Lester, Colin, my son Carlos and Wavell Pereira for their back-up support to the Maranatha Choir during the years leading upto 1992 when I emigrated to Canada. They have given back to the Lord in full measure.

The torch is passed on to the next generation and you will hear a lot more about Ryan and Jordan de Souza. From Canada watch out for the Spiritual ‘Mission of Charity” to be launched on the 10thh death Anniversary of Mother Teresa. A freely dowloadable MP3 format can be expected with a link on this site by September 1st.

Edlyn de Souza

3. July 26, 2007, 9:46 am Colin D'Cruz

A little over one hundred years ago, a bunch of American musicians discovered the joys of improvising and called it jazz. Over two thousand years ago, Indian classical musicians were busy laying down the foundation for musical improvisation. If jazz is improvised music, Indian classical music is jazz! Now that we’ve discovered who really discovered jazz, it’s time to take a good look at the state in India. The name of India’s most popular live jazz venue located in Mumbai, tells the story loud and clear. It started as ‘Jazz by the bay’, changed to ‘Not just jazz by the bay’ and should now switch to ‘Just not jazz by the bay’!
    Granted, jazz has a niche audience and commercial music rules, but then a few years later, that same commercial music is ruled out while jazz blissfully evolves, embracing all other forms of music along the way. We now have rock-jazz, pop-jazz, funk-jazz, latin-jazz, hip-hop-jazz, indo-jazz… to cut a very long story short, there is a -jazz attached to every genre of music and there will be a -jazz attached ot every genre that comes along. That’s how huge jazz is and it should now be spelt jaaaaaaaaaaz!
    Jazz is the medium through which I express myself musically. Jazz allows me to be myself as opposed to pop that wants me to be Madonna. I’d rather be myself than strut onstage wearing conical jocks. In fact, not very long ago a leading music company in India released a male indi-pop star’s album titled ‘Mai bhi Madonna’ (I’m Madonna too) with the man dressed in drag on the album cover. Jazz suddenly began to make profound sense to me. I chose to play bass as I felt it was the coolest sound of music. Rhythm, melody and harmony makes music and the bassplayer is the important link between the three. I may not be upfront or in the spotlight all the time like the singer in the band but I am certainly right behind the song all the way.
    It’s been a long, exciting journey into jazz for me. I made a lot of friends as a musician and a whole lot of enemies. I did meet a lot of people. If it wasn’t for my music I would have been a lighthouse keeper on Andaman island or what’s worse, I would have been a doctor, lawyer or engineer. Yes, music helped me get out of my shell and face the world with a song. I currently work on two resident contracts at the JW Marriott hotel with my indo-jazz fusion ensemble called ‘The Brown Indian Band’ for obvious reasons and at night at the Taj Lands End hotel with my band called ‘The Bassman’s Band’ for some strange reason. I often take time off from these two gigs to perform at concerts and corporate events all over India and internationally. One of the highlights of my career so far, has been performing internationally on the world renowned Hennessy XO jazz tour.
    My journey into jazz has been fun and my best is always yet to come. To give back to the music that gave me so much, I setup an organisation in Goa called ‘Jazz Goa’ that can be reviewed at http://www.jazzgoa.com After close to three decades of playing jazz with just about every jazz musician in the country, I would have loved to be called the Godfather of Indian jazz. The position has been filled I’m told, so I’ll settle for Godson of Indian jazz!

Checkout some of my bands and music at my website http://www.jazzyatra.com

4. July 28, 2007, 11:31 am Ashwin Panemangalore

As a young man who grew up in the 60s in Bombay I cut my teeth into jazz as Braz and his hard bop quintet comprising a tenor along with his alto, Neville on piano and Vincy on drums ( who later went to Australia) lit up every evening and night at the smoky Venice..we spent Rs 1.50
    nursing a cup of coffee each evening (thats all we could afford) as we lapped up every note of Brazs compositions ( Karims Blues for example still rings in my ears) and other standards of Cannonball.In an era where getting a jazz LP was like importing gold it was a revelation to hear such quality of imrpovisation and technique live.

Earlier in the 50s when I was younger I pored over the newspapers to read about Ken Mac, Vin Cumine, Micky Correa ( I was in NYC in May this year and was delighted to see that his daughter Christine was singing at Cornelia Street Cafe in the Village)..at places like the Little Hut where King Kong was the strong man at the door.I heard about Leslie Godinho’s drum battles and marvelled at stories about his technique but never had the fortune to hear him live ( Too expensive, those restaurants for us students)

While writing a series of articles for DNA on the forgotten musicians behind old hindi film songs last year I discovered and interviewed Joe Gomes at his apartment on Linking Road Little Flower and took out some lovely b&w pics of bands of yore from his forgotten dusty cupboard and some of the Benny Goodman show at the Eros ( not Excelsior) where he too had played… they are so precious It brought tears to my eyes.

Cutting back to the 60s from Braz to Johnny Rodrigues to Chris Perry and Lorna culminated into that great show they had at the Birla where Manohari Singh joined in with Chris’s big band and there was the Swinging Five with Anibal’s ripping trombone and honey toned guitar with Noel on tenor.
    Then who can forget Hecke Kingdom at the Volga and Saby at the Bistro where Johnny and Ursula Yvonne’s sis and Chic’s younger daughter played to crowds at tea time. At Ali Baba I revelled at George’s dynamic explorations with his trio. They cooked each evening to full crowds till the poor drummer died in a scooter accident and his wonderful bass player who looked and played like Paul Chambers went too. As George moved on to the middle east,the strippers took over and good jazz was replaced by poor quality music which appealed to the sleeze set. And that sadly was the beginning of the end of that era..

I never went back for years to town…. except to drive down for work when I had to and recall the good days All the crowds and seed around the same places make me feel very sad and its so difficult to tell my children about those good times…they dont understand it and they have all moved on into another world and another time

5. July 28, 2007, 3:31 pm taran

jazz loving folks, bonjour,

here’s the hot absolutely orgasmic radio show brad-podcast on contemporary jazz & improvised music from france:

Taran’s Free Jazz Hour

6. July 30, 2007, 11:40 pm Melanie Pereira

I too come from a family of musicians, not Goan, but definitely Indian. I grew up listening to my maternal uncles, Ivan & Oscar Rodericks playing the piano at family gatherings, accompanying us while we sang old standards, like Autumn Leaves. My mum too was a classical pianist although her brothers were self-taught. Ivan played at the Natraj, his band, ‘The Strangers’ with Noel Thomas, then left and lived for the better part of his life in Beirut & Greece. He returned to India, and played at the Holiday Inn, his last stint being at the JW Marriot with his jazz trio, still called ‘The Strangers’. Oscar too cut his teeth on Jazz with Braz Gonsalves & Pam Crain at the Blue Fox in Calcutta. Later he played at almost all the 5 Star hotels in B’bay, coupled with a few stints in Madras, Bangalore & Hydderabad. I was fortunate to sing with Jazz greats like Johnny Fernandes & my very dear uncle Ivan too and of course the multi-talented bassist Colin D’cruz, although I can’t claim to be a jazz singer, but definitely a great lover of Straight Ahead & Latin Jazz. My brother Clifton, a pianist & keyboardist in his own right, has evolved through the years and currently plays at the Taj Fort Aguada, Goa. Music runs through my veins and fortunately my husband’s family too is musical. To name one who is no more, Amancio D’silva,my husband’s maternal uncle, a jazz guitarist, who played with likes of Braz and other great musicians of the 60s. He played at the Jaipur Palace and later settled in the UK and his children & grandchildren continue his legacy. I came to Canada three years ago and am glad that my son, Sheley, has the opportunity to learn music in High School. He plays the trumpet & is experimenting with the sax too.
    About the music scene in Canada, among the community, yes Naked Flame is a great band and although I knew Carlos in Bombay & met him in Mississauga too never knew he came from a family of great musicians. Let’s hope we can continue to keep the music throbbing forever and pass it on from generation to generation!

7. October 20, 2007, 8:09 pm taran

12 hours of free jazz, live music, poetry, dance & projection on Taran’s Free Jazz Hour on oct 27, 2007. starts at noon paris time, ends midnight. more info and listening on the web, here:

bombay time is 4-5 hours ahead of paris time.

8. November 6, 2007, 1:32 am Cornelius Rodrigues

HI!i HAVE A STORY TO TELL YOU ABOUT MY JAZZ BAND ‘THE BIG LEAGUE’….SO COME RELIVE IT WITH ME AT http://www.thebigleague.in

9. December 6, 2007, 4:33 am Ashwin Panemangalore

Yorrick Melanie

I am looking for Frankie Barretto who used to play piano in Delhi at Ashoka and migrated to Canada in the early 80s Also Dennis D’Souza a guitarist who migrated earlier . Any way to contact these gentlemen.Both are ex Poona St Vincent’s boys

10. March 10, 2008, 5:07 pm Anil Siqueira

Ashwin,
    What years were they in St Vincent’s?
    Or in which year did they pass out?

11. March 20, 2008, 12:13 am SHARON GONSALVES RODRIGUES

hi there, im sharon, braz’ eldest daughter. i live in mumbai with my husband and 3 kids. i sing at the taj lands end and my husband is a pianist at the le meridien. we both also do alot of outside gigs and travel alot with the colonial cousins. coming from a jazz background, i do love jazz, but i cant really say im a jazz singer, altho i do sing standards. my sister in in canada and a fantastic pianist and jazz vocalist and altho she does not perform much on stage, she imparts her knowledge to her students (she is a music teacher).

dad and mum have left mumbai and have settled in goa since last jan. dad does not play commercially anymore and i know his fans crave to hear him. he is now totally dedicated to spreading the message of jesus christ thru the gift of music which is god given itself and says that being on a stage playing for the lord has given his more satisfaction than playing at any of the places he has been before. he lives a very humble life in goa working with musicians you may have never heard of, but all a dedicated lot who believe in the message of christ. i hope and aspire to be a human being like dad someday and i hope all of us musicians can give back to the lord what he has given us so abundantly.

edlyn, yorrick i remember you all and your families from my canada days and hope you all are doing fine.

12. April 7, 2008, 10:09 pm yorrick de souza

Melanie, I just read your comments today. There are two brothers Frankie and Johnny Barreto that are in Canada and have been very active in the Jazz scene. Dennis D’souza used to play at the Royal York hotel as a one man band, a real good entertainer. As soon as I get their numbers, I will post ‘em.

13. May 28, 2008, 11:25 pm Ashwin Panemangalore

Hi Anil

I passed from St Vincents in 1958 ( old codger !) and the Barrettos and Dennis also passed same year We had a 50 year class anniversary in Poona Jan 5th early this year. I have formed a yahoogroup ( StVincents58@yahoogroups.com ) Dennis whom I mistakenly said is a D’Souza is actually Dennis Fernandes who migrated to Canada from Delhi where he used to play guitar in the late 60s. Dennis is also St Vincents. His brother Tommy played trumpet with Frank Dubier and later with Braz at Laguna in Delhi
    Its nice to see messages from Braz’s daughter Sharon on the site Braz is the greatest and is missed by all of his old jazz fans His days at the Venice were when he was at his peak They are still etched in my memory. I used to fork out Rs 2 from my meagre earnings every evening there to listen to his brillant original alto style…. and ride the train back home humming his compositions…..till he left the city He has always been so humble and self effacing never promoted himself Later he took to the soprano and was terrific on that difficult instrument too ….Its sad that there is hardly anyone who plays alto much less soprano in India from the later generations now

14. June 16, 2008, 5:42 am Darryl D'Souza

I would very much like to contact Ivan Rodericks as we used to do gigs together in the early ’60s, with me on the trumpet. I now live in Sutton, Surrey – England.

Thanks very much.

Darryl D’Souza

15. July 2, 2008, 10:18 pm Carlos Gonsalves

Goa has now become the jazz hub of India.
    Checkout the jazz scene in Goa at http://www.jazzgoa.com

16. July 17, 2008, 5:08 pm Neville Bulsara

Bombelli’s at Churchgate did not have a band. It was Bombelli’s at Breach Candy which had the band led by Georgie

17. July 25, 2008, 6:19 pm Colin D'Cruz

Pianist Bonny Remedios definitely counts as one of India’s jazz icons. He ruled the swinging sixty’s with his amazing vocal renditions of Louis Armstrong classics. He found fame soon after, but for the wrong reason. He got famous for sipping booze on the job through a straw that ran into a quarter bottle hidden in his inner coat pocket! He reformed and is now happily remarried and living in mumbai with his wife Coleen and 22 year old son George. My first hotel resident band contract was with his band at the Palm Grove hotel in Mumbai. He currently gigs with one of my bands that can be reviewed at http://jazzgoa.tripod.com/suburban.html

18. August 16, 2008, 2:27 pm Tony Coutinho

Dear Friends,
    This is the age that Igrew up and I remember all the musicians that are mentioned and quoted.Arun Bhagwat a Vincentian who pased out with me in 1955 wrote to me recemntly.He has beeen gigging wit Frankie Baretto and will be meeting him and Terry Pinto from Pune, Irwin Road in Toronto this week.
    I was part of the night club scene in Mumbai as Xavier Fernandes is a very close friend and the godfather of my eldest daughter.I worked for Indian Airlines and did the night shift, which allowed me to go to the nightclubs and celebrate before I took over the counter at midnight, when the other staff went to sleep.
    Those were the good days, I am an old codger and cannot relive those days.
    Regards
    Tony Coutinho

19. August 27, 2008, 10:42 pm Vip

Hello there…great to see this page! I’ve heard Oscar play, and Melanie sing, and here’s to you Melanie!

20. August 28, 2008, 12:18 am Melanie Pereira

Hi Darryl,

Ivan is in Bombay and plays at the Leela’s. Will definitely tell him you were inquiring about him. my son is is learning to play trumpet and alto sax in High School here in Canada

Melanie

21. September 4, 2008, 12:53 pm Ashwin Panemangalore

Hi Tony

Thanks I did hear from Arun Bhagwat

Can you please let me know if it is possible to trace Dennis Fernandes somewhere in Canada a guitarist ex St Vincents. His brother Tommy who stayed on in India played trumpet and was crippled with his legs amputated but that never stppped him from playing and moving around Wonder what happened to him as the live music scene eveporated in Bombay in the early 70s

22. October 22, 2008, 2:34 pm Sucharita

Hi,
    My name is Sucharita. I’m a student of St.Xavier’s College, Mumbai. I used to learn the piano from both Toni Pinto, and Johnny Fernandes several years ago. Circumstances arose and my lessons stopped. As of now, I’m looking for a new teacher, but I’m struggling to find one who will teach me, not the Trinity College of London syllabus, but Jazz, Blues and Popular piano, as I was learning from the aforementioned.
    I’d really appreciate it if anyone could perhaps give me some information on some such teacher in Mumbai.
    Thanks :)

23. October 25, 2008, 10:16 am Colin D'Cruz

Hi Sucharita, I used to play with the maestro Tony Pinto often in Mumbai. If you are based in Mumbai there’s a fantastic jazz pianist Tony Dias. He is an accomplished performer and qualified teacher. You can hear/contact him here: http://jazzgoa.tripod.com/jjcd.html

24. December 24, 2008, 10:16 am jim chater jazz musician of the 60s

i remember Edward Saldana ! he could have done so much and gone places back in the 60s … a great jazz pianist, who studied under the great Bill Evans. i remember his rendition of satin doll ! brilliant.

25. December 31, 2008, 11:51 am Edlyn de Souza,

Hi Sharon,
    So nice to hear from you on this site. We have lovely memories of dad Braz, mum Yvonne, Laura and yourself here in Canada; specially the the times you all joined us at Mass in the Mount Carmel School Hall.

It was great to surprise dad and mum at their place in Goa last year, to experience dad’s joy in his mission and to see photos of all of you leading the music liturgy in Goa. Braz has always been a very humble and deeply teligious person. I distinctly remember a night in the late 70′s at the Holiday Inn, Juhu when he sat praying with and counseling an alcoholic during both music breaks. Canada’s loss is Goa’s gain, undobtedly part of God’s plan. Sorry we have not been able to do much with his instrumental reflections CD.

Carlos is currently in Goa. Our numeber here 905-858-8580. Keep in touch.

26. February 21, 2009, 8:41 pm Torsa

Hi,
    While doing some research on jazz I came across this site. I am not a musician and until recently was not much into jazz. Currently I am doing a paper that relates jazz with a literary text and in the context I am doing a lot of reading and listening to a lot of jazz.

I would like to know the importance of lyrics for a jazz musician and the impact of the first world war on jazz music and lyrics.

If any of you can tell me your views on the same it would be of immense help and you could also suggest me any relevant site which would satisfy my queries.
    you can mail me your responses at torsag@gmail.com

27. November 19, 2009, 4:52 am Susheel Kurien

Its nice to see this page
    I am making film on the Story of Jazz in India. and to the best of my knowledge this has not been told , as yet..Please visit the website at
    to see video sequences that I have edited to date. I am trying to contact musicians from that time and also collect archival material such as photos and recordings

Please see the website for contact details
    thanks

28. February 11, 2010, 7:33 am Greta

Hi Melanie, I am glad to come across this website. I wonder if you or your uncle Ivan remember me! I would like to contact you and Ivan, if possible.

29. February 11, 2010, 1:07 pm dharmesh

i m a keyboard player based in mumbai. Can i get contact numbers of some jazz pianists in mumbai who teach also.

30. February 13, 2010, 7:44 pm Greta

Dharmesh, here’s a contact, this is an old entry on this site, that I have copied below, you I hope you find some contacts through the webiste mentioned in the msg below.

After I inserted my msg on Feb 11, 2010, I realized that all the other msgs above mine were before 2008, I wonder if I would ever get a response to mine.

Greta