Split Radio
Noise: Your daily dose of music
Split Magazine on Facebook

Album Reviews

Joint Family: Hotbox

By Vineet Kanabar | December 19, 2007

Split Magazine: Joint FamilyThere’s something about good nu-metal. I mean really good, great, from-the-soul nu-metal. Joint Family is THE band these days on the Delhi metal circuit and their new album ‘Hotbox’ is as close to brilliance as you can get in the nu-metal genre. Great production values with expert recording and a variety of song themes — this is all the Indian metal scene needs to push forward from the heights that PDV and Bhayanak Maut have taken us to.

The album opens with the PDV-esque “Drummer’s Advice”. The drumming on this song is, needless to say, killer. The variety on this track sets the tone for some awesome stuff on the rest of the album. The vocals seem ordinary here, but that might just be because of the spoken vocals for most part. Only the lyrics seem a little emo. “Fight Back” begins with Ed Norton asking Lawrence to, and I quote, “Put your fuckin’ mouth on the curb”, in American History X. The lyrics on the song call out for people to stand up and fight back for themselves. It is interspersed with some routine metal riffs, and some dialogue tracks running in the background.

“Change” brings to the album what it says it does, change. A brilliant song about change being the only constant. The vocals showcase lead vocalist Akshay De’s singing ability. Bringing to the fray some Tool-like instrumentals, is “(If Only I Could Sing)”.

The clincher tracks on the album are “Life’s a Bitch” and “Juggernaut”. The intro into “Life’s a Bitch” gives you that feeling you get while slipping off a cliff. Awesome stuff, really. Add to that the stop-starts and the lyrics and Clarence Gonzalves’ bass line, and you have a song to savour. “Juggernaut” was featured on the very metal-heavy ‘Great Indian Rock 2007′ compilation, and with good reason. Heavy as hell, this song will make your grandmother get out of her hospital bed and mosh her way to heaven.

Joint Family are as good as, if not better than, any band they have on the international circuit. If marketed well, we might just have India’s first big international metal act, right here in New Delhi.

Comments

30 Comments. Post Yours Here.
  1. December 20, 2007, 11:48 pm deville

dude thats not akshay de singing. thats rohan soloman(read the credits) and akshay de cant sing. if he could he would have.

2. December 21, 2007, 1:44 pm Vineet

I got it off their community man. If its incorrect, I apologise.

3. December 21, 2007, 3:11 pm Anirudh

Nice review.
    I’ll agree with deville about that “typo” It is Roahn from Cyanide doing the guest vocals, it’s mentioned in the credits too.
    Instrumental doesn’t sound very much like t00l according to me, but I found it pretty awesome anyways.
    Great album!

4. January 4, 2008, 9:30 am Amwan

This is my first visit to this site and was quite amazed to see my band up there on the front page. Thanks for reviewing our album.

5. January 11, 2008, 4:38 pm nitin

i just love da song juggernaut

6. January 27, 2008, 1:30 pm Pra$H

hey fellas! i PICKED UP THIS ALBUM WITH JAN ISSUE OF ‘RSJ’. MUST SAY WORTH LISTEINNG. NOT JUST THAT IT DOES PUT U INA MOOD TO GROOVE WITH. HEADBANGERS FEAST. BUT CUD NT FIGURE OUT ANY SIGNATURE STYLE OF THE BAND. ALLS A MIX UP SIMILAR TO STYLES THAT OF SLIPKNOT (DRUMMERS ADVICE) AND MUDVAYNE. SEEMS THE BAND IS FORCIBLY HEAVY.BUT DEN WOT DA HELL. IT KICKS ASS ANY WAY! SONG MEANINGS WERE NOT NEEDED THAT CUZ WE AINT NO FUCKIN’ NO AIR SINCE WE STARTED OUT LISTENING TO ROCK. SOUND QULITY SUCKS THOUGH. WELL I GUESS OUR VERY OWN BASSIST WILL HAVE TO COME MORE CLEAN WITH HIS BLASTINGS. KUDOS TO OUR DEAR OWN DRUMMER. U ROCK MAN! LOTTA ENERGY. MUS SAY INDI – ROCK HAS COME A LONG WAY. AND IF ANY 1 OF YADISAGRE…. FUCK U MOFUCKAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. February 1, 2008, 9:19 pm XIPHOID

U GUYS R GREAT…GUD ROCK…LIKE DA LYRICS…

8. February 8, 2008, 2:26 pm sumeeeeeet anand

hey guys ur grt,im die hard fan of ur metals ,vry frst sng drummers advice is awesome

9. February 13, 2008, 4:55 pm Vibhu

Fckin Awesome
    JF fckin rules

10. February 13, 2008, 10:16 pm Karan V

U guys have really made our Delhi proud.
    Delhi Metal has really shown india that we can do better mosh than Mumbai.

JF rocks – keep on going guys.

11. February 16, 2008, 1:10 pm Abhishek

Kick Ass! \m/
    JF \m/

12. April 2, 2008, 3:43 pm Vivek Bhattacharyya

JF IS india 1st metal act……….cmon……..in vch odr band u gt growlz as gud as lamb of god?????plus shardul’s drumin is awsum……….clarnc is kikass…….no doubt………f de guyz get dr break……..ntn stpin dem…….

13. April 30, 2008, 11:14 pm biks

wow i really love what they guys are doing.
    here This juggernaut is outstanding and I will always lookin for the lirix. if anyone send to me highly I aappritiate.

14. May 26, 2008, 8:06 pm Sneha

I must say Joint Family’s recording does match up to international standards. Nice detailing especially in ‘Change’ and ‘Juggernaut’.

15. May 30, 2008, 8:48 pm sagar

great work guys! keep it up! a really good album! loving the song change! \m/

16. June 7, 2008, 3:20 am Kaushik

All the songs are pretty good. Simple but effective riffs. The Instrumental is my fav

17. July 31, 2008, 6:10 pm Anubhav

This is definitely the best album i’ve heard from any Indian band. The sound recording can be improved but was a massive improvement, yet again, from any other recording that i’ve heard. Drumming and Vocals were awesome, Keep it up guys and I’m sure you would go places. Indian metal has come a long way and JF has only set a standard higher than anything previously set.

18. August 3, 2008, 11:42 am Edy

A very mature and promising effort 4m JF…. The Bass is very clear ……. very decent recording .
    The will surely go places.

19. August 7, 2008, 6:05 pm Malli da AH

Juggernaut! Juggernaut!! …. Listening to it 20+ times everyday. Its been 15 days now…. Man… little disappointed to see them not in the Independence Rock XXIII… i was like.WTF How can Joint Family be out…

whatever… !!! After Pentagram.. the only Indian band that rocked my years is Joint Family.

Rock on \,,/

20. August 16, 2008, 3:12 pm joy

well i guess this is quite a band! nu-metal..metal..hard..wht eva..but its some godd heavy music..i will agree with the main review that if this band gets the right platform and if thers a way to push it on the main universal circuit then it gonna go rocking…i will agree that the recording part could have been a bit better..but thers always a scope of improvement..and this band is very good and they totally respect their leaders(slipknot.mudwayne…etc) especially slipknot..its not easy to come up with good music….but this is “good music”..thanks!! AND…I LOVE ALL THE SONGS.

21. September 6, 2008, 12:24 am richie

maan!!!! u guys r superb…u r music has got d international level..

22. October 5, 2008, 7:08 am Jared

AWESOME !!!!!
    I Luv ANthem Y, Juggernaut , Fight back ,Life’s a bitch

23. January 13, 2009, 2:07 pm darrell

“Heavy as hell, this song will make your grandmother get out of her hospital bed and mosh her way to heaven.”
    lol,

Anyways this is a pretty good album, been listening to Drummer’s Advice for the last 3 years :)

24. January 14, 2009, 1:22 am Dhiman

U Gyz r fukin great man.i love the drums swear 2 god.

25. April 5, 2009, 5:18 pm amit

you guys are just owesome i m from nagaland and i saw you guys performing in the hornbill rock contest we also have a band and we get the inspiration from you guys

26. August 4, 2009, 1:18 am vompu

J F is f**ken best.i need the fight back lyric if any1 wants 2 help me then mail the lyric ORKUT.griffin/bubun4ever.

27. August 19, 2009, 1:28 am Manish

Man Man Man….I’ve only 1 song of JF that is ‘Juggernaut’…and its really AWSME….Can anybody tel me frm where i can get the full album or songs of JF..

28. September 1, 2009, 12:24 pm gaurav

Dude da first time I listened to da song “Life s a bitch”…. i totaly tripped man…I felt they were talkin to me man !!! its awesome stuff.. gr8 lyrics.. awesome rifts !!! n da song “JUGGERNAUT’…. its metal made by the GODS themselves… with this song i have the guts to say that Indian metal can performed alongside other international metal bands like Slipkot n othes…. U ppl(JF) have given Indian metal a new deffinition man… keep rockin n keep makin songs of such power !!! god bless JF !!!

29. September 22, 2009, 4:56 pm p00h

wanna say dat as a metalhead, u guyz made me proud as an Indian…..!!!!!!
    keep rocking guyz…!!!!!!!!

30. December 29, 2009, 6:32 pm vivian

i saw u guys live and u are fuckin AWESOME.
    Anthem Y, Fight Back, Drummer’s advice and Juggernaut are awesome songs.|,,/